Walnut Creek Money Laundering Defense Lawyer
Experienced Defense Against Money Laundering Charges in California
Money laundering is a crime that involves disguising the source of money that has been obtained illegally. Money laundering is a federal offense, and it can result in federal charges and long prison sentences. If you are facing money laundering charges, you need an effective and aggressive criminal defense attorney on your side.
Call The Law Offices of Johnson & Johnson today at (925) 900-5330 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our money laundering attorney in Walnut Creek!
What Is Money Laundering?
Money laundering is the act of disguising the source of money that has been obtained illegally. Money laundering aims to make the illegally obtained money appear as though it came from a legal source. Money laundering can involve several tactics, but the most common is using money to purchase and sell large amounts of valuable goods. This disguises the source of the money because the seller will not ask where the money came from.
How Does the Government Prove I'm Guilty of Money Laundering?
The government must prove that you knew the money had been obtained illegally and that you intended to disguise the source of the money. It is not enough that you accepted the money without asking where it came from. The government must also prove that you knew the money was obtained illegally.
What Are the Penalties for Money Laundering?
The penalties for money laundering can vary based on the amount of money involved but can include:
- Fines can range from thousands to millions of dollars, depending on the severity of the offense and the amount of money involved
- Imprisonment can range from a few years to decades, depending on the severity of the offense
- Loss of professional licenses and other privileges
- Restitution payments to the victims of the crime
- Probation and community service
- Confiscation of assets, such as homes, cars, or other property that was purchased with illegally obtained funds
- Deportation for non-citizens convicted of money laundering
- Reputation damage can impact future job opportunities and personal relationships
- Enhanced penalties for repeat offenders
Contact Our Walnut Creek Money Laundering Defense Attorney Today
If you are facing money laundering charges, you need an attorney to protect your rights and freedom. At The Law Offices of Johnson & Johnson, our Walnut Creek money laundering defense attorney has over 20 years of experience. We know how the government builds its cases and how to defend you against those cases.
Contact The Law Offices of Johnson & Johnson today to schedule a consultation with our money laundering lawyer in Walnut Creek!