Walnut Creek Drug Crime Attorneys
Dedicated Legal Representation for Controlled Substances Offenses in the Bay Area
The California Health and Safety Code enumerates several types of conduct that are considered drug crimes. From simple possession to the sale of controlled substances, law enforcement officials and prosecutors take these matters very seriously. Drug crimes are harshly pursued because the substance can harm the people who use them, and other people can be injured or killed because of someone else's use of drugs. Depending on the specific circumstances, the offenses are either misdemeanors or felonies, and both can be penalized by incarceration and/or fines. A drug conviction also has lasting collateral consequences – those resulting from laws and not imposed by the court. For instance, certain drug crimes convictions can render a person ineligible for federal student aid, which means they may have trouble paying for higher education, affecting their professional aspirations.
At The Law Offices of Johnson & Johnson, our Walnut Creek drug crimes lawyers recognize what's at stake in these types of matters. We are ready to deliver the sound legal counsel you need to fight your charge. Collectively, we have over 50 years of experience and a record of success handling a wide range of criminal matters. When you turn to us, you can be confident knowing that our team will effectively handle your case and protect your best interests as we work toward a favorable outcome on your behalf.
Types of Drug Crimes We Defend
Drug crimes include any type of conduct involving controlled substances, which can be illegal drugs such as heroin or prescription medications such as Ritalin. At The Law Offices of Johnson & Johnson, we have handled various drug offenses cases and are aware of the various defenses that can be raised to challenge the accusations. For instance, if law enforcement officials did not have a valid warrant to search a person or their property, any evidence they obtained may be considered tainted, as the individual's constitutional rights were violated. By filing a motion, it's possible to have the evidence deemed inadmissible in court, effectively weakening the prosecution's case.
And while we are familiar with possible defenses against drug crimes charges, we also know that not every situation is the same. What may have applied in one matter may not apply in another. That is why we will thoroughly investigate your case to develop a strategy that's effective for you.
Our drug crimes attorneys in Walnut Creek deliver high-quality legal representation for a variety of offenses, including but not limited to:
- Sale or transportation for sale of controlled substances: This offense is committed when a person sells or gives away a drug or drugs, knowing that what they were furnishing was an illegal substance. It is a felony punishable by prison time and/or fines.
- Possession with intent to sell: Anyone who knowingly and unlawfully has a usable amount of a controlled substance and intends to sell it may be charged with a felony. The law defines a "usable amount" as a quantity enough to be used, but it does not necessarily have to be such that a person can be affected by it.
- Simple possession: Depending on the nature of their alleged offense, a person may be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony for knowingly possessing a drug or drugs.
- Possession of a controlled substance while armed: California considers it a separate offense from possession if someone knowingly has a drug on them and they have a loaded and operable firearm on or around them.
- Manufacturing a controlled substance: It's a felony for anyone to make, process, prepare, or compound controlled substances.
No matter the charge you're facing, when you turn to our team, you will have a loyal advocate on your side, fighting to protect your rights and freedoms.
Schedule a Free Consultation Today
After an arrest or criminal charge, you'll likely have numerous questions about your case. Our knowledgeable and responsive Walnut Creek drug crimes lawyers can provide well-informed answers, helping you understand the judicial process and your legal options.
Hiring Mr. Johnson was one of the best decisions I ever made.- Former Client